Bake up a pan of this healthy quinoa casserole for an easy hot breakfast on-the-go throughout the week. Add your favorite berries, nuts, seeds, and spices to make this recipe your own!
1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon allspice 2 eggs
2 cups skim milk 1/4 cup maple syrup 1 1/2 cups frozen berries
1 apple or pear, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch square baking pan, and set aside. (Note: a 9×11 works fine, too!)
3. In a medium bowl, stir together uncooked quinoa, cinnamon, and allspice to coat quinoa with spices. Pour quinoa over bottom of prepared pan.
4. In the same bowl used for the quinoa, beat the eggs until fully mixed. Whisk in the milk and maple syrup, and beat to combine.
5. Scatter the berries, apple or pear pieces, and nuts (if using) evenly on top of the quinoa.
6. Pour the egg and milk mixture over the top of the fruit and quinoa. Lightly stir to partially submerge the fruit. (The milk mixture will cook the quinoa to create a very soft texture on the inside, while creating a lightly crunchy crust on the outside!)
7. Bake for 1 hour, or until casserole is mostly set with only a small amount of liquid left. Serve warm, and refrigerate leftovers.